30 Oct 2016

3 DELICIOUS OATMEAL RECIPES


I know what you might be thinking. Oatmeal?? OH YES! A lot of people don't like oatmeal and trust me, I used to be one of them. But let me tell you, I’ve learned to love it! My first ever attempt to make some epically failed. I didn't like the taste or the texture of it at all. I noticed how my dad and brother did seem to enjoy their oatmeal, so I just had to give it another go. I started experimenting with flavours and ended up really liking my oatmeal in the morning. I present to you: my three favourite flavour-combo's!



Chocolate & banana



This first one is my all-time favourite. It’s a chocolate and banana oatmeal bowl and it’s amazing. You can’t go wrong with chocolate, can you?


Ingredients
  • oatmeal flakes (For an average serving, use about 75 grams or 3/4 cup of oats. Depending on how hungry you are, feel free to use more or less.)
  • milk: coconut, almond, hazelnut or soy milk are amazing for oatmeal (I usually use twice as much milk as oatmeal flakes. For this recipe, use about 150 ml or 2/3 cup.)
  • 2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 large banana
  • cane sugar as a sweetener


How to:

Add your milk to a small sauce pan and put it on high heat. Add the oatmeal flakes.



Stir this together until you see that the milk is starting warm up. At this point, turn the heat down to medium.

Add the cocoa powder. Remember to keep stirring, or the mixture will burn.


When you see that the oatmeal starts bubbling up, turn the heat down again, this time to a low setting.

While the oatmeal continues to cook, chop up the banana. Don't forget to stir the oats once in a while.


Check your oatmeal to see if it's cooked and turn off the heat. If the consistency is thick, moist and porridge-y, it should be done. Don't overcook it, or it'll dry out. The cooking time depends on what flakes you're using, but my oatmeal is usually ready at this point.

Plate everything up. Add the banana slices on top and if you're a sweet tooth like me, sprinkle on some cane sugar (or any sweetener you prefer)!




Apple & cinnamon



Another one of my favourites is this apple, cinnamon and brown sugar combo. The sweetness and freshness of the apple pairs perfectly with the warm and rich oatmeal!


For this recipe, you'll need
  • oatmeal (same amount as first recipe)
  • milk of your choice (I used unsweetened soy milk for this one.) (same amount as first recipe)
  • cinnamon
  • 1 apple
  • brown sugar



How to:

Follow the first two steps of the first oatmeal recipe.



Add a sprinkle of cinnamon. How much you add totally depends on your personal preference! Continue to stir the mixture.


When you see that the oatmeal starts bubbling up, turn the heat down again, this time to a low setting.

While the oatmeal continues to cook, chop up your apple. Don't forget to stir the oats once in a while.


Check your oatmeal to see if it's cooked and turn off the heat. Again, you want a thick, moist and porridge-y consistency.


Scoop the oatmeal in a bowl. Add the apple chunks on top and sprinkle on a nice amount of brown sugar!




Red berry & maple syrup



This last recipe is a bit more refreshing and sour-sweet. Red berries are super healthy and add a nice flavour to the oatmeal.


Ingredients
  • oatmeal (same amount as first recipe)
  • milk of your choice (I used coconut milk for this one.) (same amount as first recipe)
  • about a cup of frozen (or fresh!) mixed berries
  • maple syrup (or any sweetener of your choice)
  • 1 banana (optional)



How to:

Follow the first two steps of the first oatmeal recipe.



Add the red berries and a tablespoon of maple syrup and continue to stir the mixture.



When you see that the oatmeal starts bubbling up, turn the heat down again, this time to a low setting.
This recipe has to cook a few extra minutes, because of the frozen berries.

Check your oatmeal to see if it's cooked and turn off the heat. A thick, moist and porridge-y consistency is what you’re looking for.


Plate the oatmeal up. Add an extra sprinkle of maple syrup if you fancy a sweeter taste. I love to pair this oatmeal with a sliced banana, but again, that’s totally up to you!



That’s it! Oatmeal is my go-to breakfast when I have an extra ten minutes during the weekends. It’s a lot healthier than eating cereal, sweet sandwiches or cooked breakfast and it gives you much more energy than any other breakfast.

Enjoy!


Oh and before I forget, two more updates!
* Today, October 30th, Before The Flood airs worldwide on National Geographic. This film about climate change is highly anticipated and directed by environmentalist Leonardo DiCaprio. The film is free to watch on several social media platforms, including YouTube and Facebook. Tonight at 10pm, the movie airs in Belgium on the National Geographic Channel. Check http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/before-the-flood/ or www.beforetheflood.com for more details!
* I'M ON INSTAGRAM!!!! Yesterday, I finally decided to make myself an Instagram-account. Definitely check me out for more updates, previews and other green thoughts!

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment